Thursday 6 December 2012

6.12.12

Ok,
So as I've now started really focusing myself towards strength training, todays session was dedicated to upper body. I mentioned in my last blog that I had met an amateur strongman and that I had done some training with him and I am continuing to train with him as I feel that it is going to help me reach my strength goals.
Today we did barbell overhead press. This is an exercise I used to do however recently I have been favouring the behind-neck push press instead. It was quite challenging getting used to the balance of the movement again, epecially as we were doing it strict with no push or jerk from the legs.
I managed to get out 3 reps 75kg which I was pleased with. I know this really isn't a big amount of weight but I'm only starting out so give me a break here.
We worked up gradually to the 75kg.
After this we did some assistance by dropping the weights and did 5 sets of 10 strict with 40kg.
We then did some chin ups. 30 total.
To finish we did some dumbell shrugs but with the addition of Fat Gripz to help work on our grip strength for pulling exercises.

I enjoyed the session. It was good to challenge my body in a new way.

I also went down to a local sports therapy clinic today to get my lower back looked at. In January I injured it quite badly. They thought it was a slipped disc but in the end it was that the entire of my lower back had gone into spasm causing my pelvis to shift which then created a huge amount of tension around the Sciatic nerve. So I still get sciatica from it and recently it has been getting quite bad.
A good 45 minute lower to mid back massage and glute compressions seems to have sorted it for now and I feel fresh and ready to go. I am now not training until Tuesday probably, apart from possibly some light work tomorrow morning on olympic lifting, as I am home for the weekend to see my family. 4 hour drives are fun ...
Plus monday I have an interview for a new job to start earning a little bit more money. Money = good. Missing weights because of it = ...

No comments:

Post a Comment