Sunday 30 June 2013

Fresh start

Ok so it has been a real long time since my last post. And in all honesty I haven't even re-read the last post to see what the heck I was talking about. But right now I'm going to be starting fresh with my blogs, and they're going to be more focused about my training, and my S&C side and less about the whole general life thing.
So here goes.
I was recently training real hard for my first ever strongman meet. The events were due to be trap bar deadlift, circus dumbell overhead press, farmers walk, truck pull arm over arm and a medley.
Unfortunately I had to pull out as during the week leading up to it I had a severe case of vomiting and diahrroea. Not pleasant for anyone. I felt weak and horrible for days afterwards so decided not to compete in case of damaging my immune system any further.
Since this my training has been kind of sporadic. I've done some hypertrophy type sessions, one awesome one for legs the other day at the Hill Performance Centre in Worcester, England. I've also been doing a lot more cardio, I have a holiday coming up and want to look good for girlfriend (insert banter here ...) and also still been doing my general strength training.
After I write this I am planning to go to the gym and do an overhead pressing session. Thinking its going to be quite brutal but I need my pressing to improve.
So that's pretty much the update with my personal training. I'm planning on keeping it strength focused but with a little bit more hypertrophy as well I think. Probably do 1-3 heavy exercises each session and top them off with a couple of supersets, or exercises with drop sets to finish. Just to add some mass and make myself look like a baddass mudda. I'm also focusing a little more on my olympic lifting so I can nail my UKSCA. Which leads nicely through to my next topic.

So S&C wise things are looking up. I was very excited to see an email from the UKSCA come through about a taking a reserve place as someone dropped out, but unfortunately it fell whilst I am on holiday so I couldn't accept. Hopefully one will pop up soon and I will get my ass together and get accredited.
On top of this, I am now the head S&C Coach for the University of Worcester Royals, American football team. I am designing gym programmes, giving feedback on nutritional information, and also helping each player to become a better athlete. From this I have also now had a couple of links to an external team too, getting contacted by their players for programme advice and other advice. Helping me to profile myself a bit better which is great.
The other major news with regards S&C is that I have been in talks with the S&C Department Head at the University of Worcester, and he wants to get me involved to act as a mentor for current students. They have recently run a WABBA course out of the uni, and some of the students who took part are going to be acting as mentors for TASS athletes and other Uni sports teams, as well as mentors for members of staff on their new "Healthy Living Scheme". It's aim is to help raise awareness of exercise and nutrition to help improve lifestyle. The idea is that I am a middle ground mentor between the students and the head of department. So I can help the students with programming, nutritional advice, and any other issues they may have, making life easier the top dog.
The progression from this would be fantastic also as if they decide to expand the S&C department, I would already be in a good position to plead my case as to why I should get a job as the Head's Assistant.
So fingers crossed things are looking up.

For now, my training goals are as follows;
Deadlift - 270kg by New Year
Squat - 220kg by New Year
Bench - 170kg by New Year
Strict Overhead - 100kg by New Year
Olympic lifts - competent and regularly train them.

My S&C Goals, to have a successful season with the Royals and any TASS athletes or teams I get involved with at the university.
And to finally get my accreditation.

Til next time

No comments:

Post a Comment