Tuesday 28 October 2014

Injury Update

Surgery has happened.

According to the MRI I had a torn lateral meniscus, it didn't show any other damage to the ACL or any other ligaments which is a major bonus.
So this led to arthroscopic (keyhole) surgery to fix it. The doctor had told me that they would either repair the meniscus, or if the damage was too severe they would remove part of it.
The repercussions of each:
Repair - Long ass rehab to allow the meniscus to fully repair before strengthening the knee and the quads, hamstrings etc. Better in the long run as I should have a fully functioning knee again.
Removal - Much quicker rehab as there is less recovery time to allow repair, BUT a much higher chance of osteo-arthritis in the knee in later life.

Let's be honest - I've been playing sport since I was 7, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to be riddled with arthritis when I'm older anyway, so I was asking them to do the removal so I can get back to my best quicker, BUT I suppose I should be looking at the long terms and at the positives.

So now I'm in a leg brace that limits my range of movement - I can go to full extension (I can't quite get there yet, still a bit of pain at the bottom of my patella when I try), but can only flex or bend through to 90 degrees at the knee (I've reached it a few times, which is a massive positive as I couldn't do that pre-surgery).

The plan now is to where this brace for 6 weeks, then on to rehab. I'm hoping that coming from a sporting background and a higher training base than the average guy will help me to rehab faster but I am definitely not going to skimp on it. I don't really want this to happen again as it's been a pain in the arse - especially with the Internship at Harlequins. It's kind of stopped me from being so hands on which is absolutely killing me as I want to be as involved as possible to learn as much as I can and allow myself the best chance for progression.

So there we go - that's the injury update.

Cheers for reading.

Rob.

No comments:

Post a Comment